Tuesday 19 January 2016

Where does the time go?


January..... our fridges, hallway and spare room are over-run with half cases (wooden boxes) of fruit, tomatoes and various vegetables waiting to be preserved or processed in some way.
Those empty jars that have been clogging up the cellar are being rapidly filled with all manner of chutneys, sauces, preserves, jams, purees, relishes etc and then going back into the shelves in the cellar.
The vegetable gardens and fruit trees are producing the summertime glut that will see us through the coming year.
Just as I begin to see the last box of fruit go into the big preserving pan on the stove, Brian brings in another three boxes. As far as he's concerned, it's just a matter of leaving it on the kitchen table and it will magically become something edible in a jar that will show itself on our dinner table many months down the track.

Mulberries are the most tedious of all things to pick but they are wonderful for the cordial syrups, jams and jellies that I make. One of our  lovely Farm-gate stall regulars, Anna from Germany, now residing in Angaston with her family, asked about buying some mulberries. I was more than happy for her and her eldest son William, to experience the Australian summer time pursuit of the mulberry.


It is depressingly dry this summer, having had below average rainfall during the past winter and no rain for the past three months. I'm watering established shrubs and trees that have not required any water for many years since they were planted eight to ten years ago. Some have died and now I'm trying to save the remaining ones that are looking so stressed.
Thank goodness for Aggies! (Agapanthus) Although those in full sun are looking mighty poorly.

No matter how hot and dry we are here, we are grateful that we have access to mains water since our garden and stock watering tanks dried up in November. Usually they would see us through until February, when we would switch over to tap water to get us through until the breaking rains in April. 
 I don't look forward to receiving our water consumption account next month, but still we are grateful that we are luckier than so many farmers up North who haven't seen a good rain for many years.
One little patch of lush green is my self seeding garden in the house yard. The tomato cuttings are running rampant with butternut pumpkins, rhubarb, kale, cucumbers, comfrey, chives and various herbs.  It was initially receiving only the grey water from the washing machine, but is now getting a deep soak every three days with drippers connected to tap water. (Up goes the water bill).
The washing machine water is now being directed onto some established shade trees growing near the house that are feeling the stress of this dry summer.  I can cope with losing the odd shrub or plant, but losing a tree is just too much to bear.
I have deliberately allowed the Kikuyu around the edge of the fence to keep growing so I can pick some every day for the laying hens.
Well, that's my excuse for not mowing it and I'm sticking to it.

The bees must have been doing their thing. Lots of Butternut pumpkins are setting this summer.

Rotating the house cows around the different paddocks every three days is easy as they will follow me anywhere.

After making jam, chutney and preserving lots of apricots I've put some fresh and halved, in vacuum seal bags and into the freezer. Last year I tried a few packs this way with great success, using them for pies, upside down cakes and various recipes through the winter.

Tomorrow is another day for tomato sauce making and there will be more plums and rhubarb to preserve into jars too. Surely I must be getting to the end of the plums!

Thanks for visiting. :)







15 comments:

  1. Hello there,

    I have just stumbled upon your blog and I like what I see. Your garden is looking great and I love your beautiful cows :)

    Our apricots have been dried, stewed, and we also made lots of jars of jam. The nectarines are ripening now, so that will keep me busy for a couple of weeks.

    I look forward to seeing what other interesting things are on your blog.

    Have a great day!

    xTania



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Tania, and thanks for all of your great comments.

      Delete
  2. love the picture with the cow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture with your cows is brilliant ... "you can lead us anywhere Mum we know it will be tasty" :-)

    It's a busy time of year and very satisfying as you finish each batch, unless another box arrives just as you have finished.

    If only we could send you some of our rain water and we have a full to capacity underground water tank and no means of pumping any out until the electricity is installed in the workshop, so as it rains more it just runs into the soakaway ... what a waste especially as I am having to do watering in the polytunnel from the mains water and the waterbutt :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woke to sound of rain this morning. It was amazing, but sadly only momentary, leaving the dust just as it was. Dusty! Love hearing about your rain excess though and am sure it won't be long before your system is completed for storage of more water. :)

      Delete
  4. The jars and bottles fill them selves with all that amazing produce, no? ;) Surely that's how it works?!

    Oh we were promised rain over these few days and a cool change and we have got little more then a few spots. Tonight Grant said but the skyes are looking far too blue.....sigh....winter WILL come.....yes??

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we got rain yesterday morning and oh how excited I felt when I heard it on the tin roof. It was fleeting though, and left no dampness except a humid day. This summer is testing the limits of us all I suspect.

      Delete
  5. i love your post, just wondering how you preserve Rhubarb in jars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there Annette, I can see a post coming up about my cheat's preserving methods. All will be explained. :)

      Delete
  6. You have an amazing amount of produce and such a variety. I take my hat off to you in managing your garden through the extremely hot Summer you are experiencing and the lack of rain ...hope you get some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The raspberries are a bit slow this year due to moving them to a different position last winter, but today I picked a few as well as beans, tomatoes, lettuce, zucchini, cucumbers, beetroot, basil and rhubarb. Brian has taken over as the head vege gardener now, as I'm pretty much full time putting the stuff into jars and using them up in our meals. Thanks for your compliment. I'd call it sheer bloody minded determination to win out over the obstacles! :)

      Delete
    2. Sheer bloody minded determination and a doggedness to beat the odds is part of a good gardeners DNA...I just hope you are able to save those much loved trees!!

      Delete
  7. I miss my house cows. You mentioning them following you around brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaw that makes me feel sad for you Phil. Many fond memories there for you I'm sure. I can't imagine life without them now, and am so very grateful to have the companionship of these magnificent creatures. Not to mention all the side benefits too.... milk and manure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is a credit to you, especially with such a dry season. We are thrilled to have such a good crop of apricots this year from our very young tree. Obviously, it likes it's position. I didn't think to seal some fresh ones, so that's what I am doing today with the last of them. Thanks for the tip. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...